The Visual Arts Curriculum is based upon the State of Michigan’s Content Standards for Visual Art. Students in Preschool through 8th grade can expect to explore the following concepts:
- Safe and appropriate use of various art mediums and their related supplies including drawing, painting, pastel, collage, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, and jewelry
- Free exploration and creation within the above mediums
- Art History
- Cultural and world studies through visual art
- Contemporary art
- Current events though visual art
- Personal expression and creative thinking
- The elements and principles of art and design aesthetics
- Visual art as it relates to real world function and careers
- The relationship and connections between visual arts and our Catholic faith
Art History, cultural and world studies, and current events will vary by grade level as is developmentally appropriate and will build upon academic curriculum learned in their classroom.
For a list of the State of Michigan’s content standards for Visual Arts please click here.